Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Let's Go Ducks!

To say that my husband is an avid Oregon Ducks fan would be a mild statement. So, when his birthday was rolling around this summer, he began to hint about wanting tickets. I bought him tickets to Ducks vs. UCLA. (Thanks Pat)
It turned into a party because Doug and Lynnann, Jared and his friend Dean and us were all going. Uncle Tom and Aunt Jackie were kind enough to let us borrow their mini van and we all got to ride to Eugene, OR together. It's roughly a 3 hour drive to get there, the game started at 7:30. What time did the boys want to leave???? Two PM. TWO PM!!! They were talking constantly throughout the entire trip there. They were all literally like a bunch of Jr. high girls. And Ryan was absolutely giddy. Ryan is not usually giddy. Truly.

So, we got there a couple hours early and ate some horrible Mexican food. There wasn't a soul in the place and I'm not sure what I ate was actually edible. So, I just didn't look at it as it went into my mouth.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm not a big sports person. I find it so boring to sit in front of a TV and watch people run around the screen with a ball. Just not amusing to me at all.
But there is something about being there. Especially at the Ducks game, I don't know if some of Ryan's enthusiasm rubs off on me or what. I just get sucked in and all of a sudden I want to know what the heck I'm watching and why. I find that very interesting about myself.
Apparently they didn't play very well. (I know this because I was forced to have the post game show blasting in my ear on the ride home at 11:30-2am, Another guy thing I suppose)
But, the game itself was very exciting. It wasn't a blowout but the Ducks maintained a decent lead the entire time.
One of the UCLA players got injured and was on his tummy on the field for what seemed like about 20 minutes. Simultaneously, there had been a fight in the stands and a spectator was pushed over the edge and fell on his head (6-8 feet they said).
So while they were tending to the player that was very hurt. There were about 10 police men and firemen on the field tending to the other altercation.

We spent the night in Becky and Ray's (Ryan's Parents) trailer and Wyatt spent the night with them. Ryan and I were getting up early Sunday morning to help my grandma move into a retirement home.
So, we fell into bed at about 2:30 am.
That made for a very tired couple the next day, but it was worth it!


Dana said...

Looks like you guys had a great time...despite getting there a few hours before the game! I am not a sports fan either but its not so bad watching it live in person!

Jackie said...

I'm so glad you guys had fun! Being there in person is always better, especially for sporting events!

Kelly said...

If I were a BSU fan - which I AM NOT AT ALL - I would mention the BSU/ U of O game. But since I don't care about such nonsense I will keep my mouth shut.

I'm glad you guys had fun! :)