Sunday, August 10, 2008

Beach Trip (what a creative title)

Well, I can't believe it's been since February when we last went to my parent's beach house in Neskowin. But, we made it back there this weekend! It was a much needed trip. We are about to have a lot going on in our life and this was sorta the last hurrah.
So, mom and dad usually don't get to come until Saturday afternoon when we go to the beach. But, instead, we got to the house at the same time this time.
On Friday, I got the car all packed up and drove downtown to Ryan's work and picked him up. I've never done that by myself before. It was daunting, but it worked out ok. I had Ryan pick me up a coffee at Peets before we got on the road. I love Peets.
We got there much earlier than we usually do, but leaving right at about 5 meant being stuck in traffic for a LONG time. So from start to finish, a trip that should have only taken about 2 hours, had Wyatt and I in the car for about 4 hours. I was sick of driving after that.
Saturday morning (I say morning very loosely) at about 5am, (it was still dark out, not morning yet) Ryan and I got up and went on a fishing excursion just the 2 of us. It was an adventure, but neither of us really know what we're doing. We were out fishing for about 5 and a half hours and we got totally skunked. I mean, Ryan caught a few "fingerlings", but they didn't count...forget I even mentioned them.
Grandma and Grandpa had a great time with Wyatt while we were gone. After breakfast, they took him to the beach and let him play in the sand and water.
We had a pretty relaxing afternoon, due in part to the fact that we were exhausted from getting up at 5am.
But, we had fish on the brain. We didn't like being beat out by the fishies, taunting us by rolling all around us, but never biting our yummy looking bait. MMMMM.
So, we had an early dinner. And all of us set out once again to go to Tillamook, OR and then on to Garabaldi. We were, once again, skunked.
So, with our heads hanging.... JK
So, we went back to our neck of the woods and went down on the beach for a fire and some "fire corn".
Problem. We forgot a flashlight. It was dark by the time we got down to the beach, and we didn't have firewood with us. So we wandered around aimlessly looking for sticks and driftwood in the dark. After finding a few old firepits with some abandoned wood, we were in business.
So, now, the "fire corn".
Oh my goodness. I would totally suggest that everyone give this a try sometime. My mom put these together, and we were getting pretty creative coming up with stuff to put in these. So all of the corns were a little bit different. But it was corn on the cob, double wrapped in aluminum foil but inside she put yellow pepper, cilantro, garlic, grapes (the grapes, I thought that was weird, but one of the best additions), Parmesan cheese, and jalapeƱo slices. We just threw these on the coals, and oh my goodness...yummy!!! Wyatt fell asleep on the beach and we didn't leave till nearly midnight.
So, today, we slept in.
Mom made a delicious breakfast. We just got ready to come home and relaxed.
I didn't take any pictures of this weekend until today.
Then I started feeling guilty about not taking pictures, so I started snapping away this morning.
But, thankfully, my mom took pictures of their trip to the beach yesterday!!


Kelly said...

Oh Neskowin. I love it there! Thanks for taking pictures. It made me happy to see them! We should go at the same time sometime. How fun would that be?

My Oh My said...

Wyatt is a cutie! And I'll have to try "fire corn" - sounds good!