Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Leftovers!!!


I love leftovers!!!
Mostly because I don't have to think about what's for lunch or dinner the next day.
MMMMMM...Yummy....MMMM!!!
(***this post is actually a leftover too...I'm taking Wyatt to the doctor today for a rash on his neck that is not going away on it's own and I have to go grocery shopping. I actually sat down and wrote this last Thursday night and was saving it for a day like today. I'm hoping to be able to sit down tonight and do one for today)
This was dinner Tuesday night and lunch yesterday and dinner last night.
What is it you ask???
It's a Mexican Tortilla Soup that I have been craving something fierce. It's so good, that I don't even mind having it consecutively. Those are the best kind of recipes!!
I had never made it myself until now, this is a recipe that Lynnann, Ryan's cousin, makes. She got multiple texts from me on Tuesday, asking for all her secrets to making the soup. I have to give credit where credit is due, it is originally a Barefoot Contessa recipe. However, if you don't know Lynnann's secrets, I don't think that it would be as good.
Lynnann's and my changes are noted in the bold.
I put a link to the real recipe in case anyone wants to try the true chef's recipe!!

Mexican Chicken Soup


1 precooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
Salt and pepper
2 cups chopped onions (2 onions)
1 cup chopped celery (4 stalks)
2 cups chopped carrots (5 carrots)
4 large cloves garlic, chopped
2 1/2 quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade (who has time to make homemade stock, I used the kind from the box)
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes in puree, crushed
2 to 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (I only used 1, but seeding it took out all the hot, so it was just more of the flavor of the pep
per and not the heat)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, optional (I used it for a topping)
6 (6-inch) fresh white corn tortillas

For serving: sliced avocado, sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, and tortilla chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions start to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes with their puree, jalapenos, cumin, coriander, 1 tablespoon salt (depending on the saltiness of the chicken stock) and 1 teaspoon pepper. Cut the tortillas in 1/2, then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch strips and add to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and season to taste. Serve the soup hot topped with sliced avocado, a dollop of sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, and broken tortilla chips.


I hope I'm not infringing on any copyright laws by sharing this with you!!!
But it's just so good.

Now take a big scoop!!!
















....or 2
top it with your favs (we didn't have any avacados left from Tuesday night).
and dig in!!!

2 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

This looks incredibly delicious!!!

It's spring and I still want to eat soup!!!

Thanks for the recipe!

Melissa K. said...

It looks really good. I think I make soup all the time. And look where I live!!!